On 4th May 2014 8 friends are planning to attempt something that has never been done before: Hand pulling a barge along the Leeds Liverpool canal to raise funds for the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation. They will start in Liverpool with a launch party and end in Leeds with a welcome party. The boat is a 20 tonne barge and it is 127 miles from Liverpool to Leeds. The project who is helping them (JAMES) is one of our NCBA member projects.
The team have been training for 2 years to prepare themselves for this task. Last year they did Tough Mudder (a series of hard-core 10-12 mile obstacle race – mud run events designed by British Special Forces) and raised £1000.
Biggest Cancer Killer
The Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation receive only 6% of total funds for cancer research, yet is the UK’s biggest cancer killer. 1 in 12 people die from lung cancer. The team hope to raise £20,000 for personal reasons.
I lost a friend to lung cancer myself, a couple of years ago; she was only 43 and had never smoked. She left behind two young daughters. It’s surprising how it is not commonly known that it is the UKs biggest cancer killer.
The barge pull crew have had a lot of media interest and all of the mayors of each town they pass through intend on meeting them.
Emma Fisher, a part time cardiac intensive care nurse, is doing all she can to publicise the amazing feat and was thrilled to get a reply from Windsor Castle.
“The Queen was touched to learn that you will face this challenge in memory of your friend’s sister who sadly died of lung cancer, and Her Majesty was interested to know that you will be attempting to set a new world record.”
How can you help?
Imagine walking a marathon every day, for 6 days, while pulling a 20 tonne barge.
- Please ‘like’ the Barge Pull Charity Event page and check out their team photos and information.
- Raise the profile of this event by sharing this blog post on social media using the buttons below.
- If you live in the area you can offer practical help with opening locks and road bridges.
- If you have a boat you may wish to follow as a flotilla type convoy to help raise publicity.
- Consider if your company may like to make a donation or sponsor the event.
- Do you have any celebrity contacts who might help pull for a short while for publicity?
Do you know someone who has had to fight lung cancer? Visit the donation page at Virgin Money Giving to see how their fundraising is going so far.
You may also like: Sail4Cancer – Not Just For Sailors